We understand that for those looking to sell an antique desk it can be hard to find a buyer and cumbersome to transport such an item. Therefore, this article aims to give you the tips you’ll need to sell your antique desk with confidence, safely and securely.
Internet searches for ‘sell antiques’ or ‘sell antique desks’ will give you hundreds of websites and each will give you their own views on the best way to go about it. You will start to get confused and frustrated and you may well give up on your search. So what is the best method of selling an antique desk?
FIRST UP – KNOW YOUR ITEM
There are many different types of antique desks and values are down to a number of different factors –
- When was your antique desk made? Who was the manufacturer? Is it genuine or a reproduction? Do you have a rare antique desk? What type of desk is it? Is it from a speciality sector (for example, many people look to specifically sell antique French furniture).
- Preparation is the key. Otherwise, those pesky timewasters playing ‘sell antique desk’ games will start to infuriate you.
- Speak to people who deal in the sort of item you want to sell. It’s the best way of gauging popularity as well as ball-park figures when it comes to selling your antique desk.
- To sell your antique desk online, upload pictures and include manufacturers marks and any scratches or flaws
NEXT – HOW TO SELL AN ANTIQUE DESK
Sell with 62days
At 62days, our experts will guide you effortlessly through the process, offering value-added information and advice so you can be comfortable knowing you are dealing with industry professionals.
While we can’t make an offer on every antique desk, we can offer on certain types and categories which can include offering to those seeking to:
Sell Antique Writing Desks • Sell Antique Pedestal Desks • Sell Antique Writing Tables • Sell Antique Reading Tables • Sell Antique Partner Desks • Sell Antique Georgian Desks • Sell Antique Victorian Desks • Sell Antique Edwardian Desks
- At 62days, you’ll get a safe, secure and hassle-free way to sell your antique desk
- All you need to do before we make you an offer is to upload detailed images and our resident experts will be perfectly placed to ascertain what you’ve got and how much it’s worth
- Collections are arranged through FedEx and your desk is insured while in transit. Note though that, in some cases, we do reserve the right to charge handling fees
- Our payment methods include direct into your account or through trusted, secure online facilities like PayPal
Why sell your antique desk through 62days? It’s simple. We give you a 62day cooling off period
Selling An Antique Desk – Auction
As with those looking to sell art in this way, most auction houses will charge you fees for listing the item in their brochure and a fee for photography and commissions, (usually a percentage of the sale price). Make sure you know roughly how much it will cost in total before you proceed, otherwise you might get an unexpected shock.
As with 62days, most auctions will accurately represent the real value of your antique desk but the auction sale price depends on how many people are present and if the desk is what the room is looking for on that day.
The main advantage of auction selling is that you achieve your ‘sell antique desk’ objective but a major disadvantage is that if it doesn’t sell, or sells for a lower than expected price, there’s not a lot you can do about it.
Selling An Antique Desk – Pawnbrokers
Pawnbrokers don’t ‘buy’ in the traditional sense, they lend money and your antique desk is used as collateral against the loan amount. It’s worth noting that if you want it back, you will have to repay the loan amount, plus higher than normal interest rates and, often, additional ‘admin’ fees. In general, pawnbrokers are more traditionally used to sell gold jewellery or similar items like luxury watches, but they can be used in this way.
Selling An Antique Desk –Dealers
Specialist dealers will give you all the information you’re looking for, but it’s likely you’ll get charged for the privilege. They can connect you with interested parties but may well charge a ‘finder’s fee’. They will value your antique desk but again, may well charge. Also remember, if they choose to buy it from you, they may offer you low prices since they need to sell it on for a profit.
Selling An Antique Desk – Peer-To-Peer Trading Sites
Selling on peer-to-peer sites can be an excellent way to sell an antique desk. However, occasionally they may also invite the more unscrupulous buyers out there to play unwanted ‘sell antique desk’ games with you. You also need to be careful when it comes to payment, communication and collection and delivery. Make sure that if you go down this road, follow any official advice from the service you use, check feedback and reputation and if you can, contact other sellers to see what their experience was like.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO NOW
Here at 62days you can earn additional income by selling your antique desk and all you have to do is upload your photos or give us a call.