If you’re looking to sell costume jewellery, trinkets or fashion jewellery then our helpful guide complete with hints and tips will give you all the information you need to make an educated, researched and informed decision as to what to do and more importantly, how to do it.
There is a big and growing market for costume jewellery in the UK and because it varies so dramatically by material, size, style, age and condition, instead of selling individual pieces, they are selling collections of costume jewellery which can range from a few pieces to hundreds of pieces.
WHAT IS COSTUME JEWELLERY?
Costume Jewellery is essentially ornamentation designed to compliment a particular fashion in clothes or shoes. It came into public awareness in the 1930s as a cheap, disposable accessory intended to be fashionable for a short period of time and then to be replaced when new fashions come into style.
There are many different types, including handmade costume jewellery and vintage costume jewellery and each different variety has its own intrinsic value.
WHY DO YOU WANT TO SELL COSTUME JEWELLERY?
Costume jewellery is one of those things that becomes a collection without you even realising it and we bet that if you went and looked in your drawers or jewellery box, you’ll have much more than you realise!
Maybe now’s the time to get a fast quote and instant cash for your costume jewellery before it starts to take over your house!
- Money – there are plenty of online and High Street buyers who will buy your costume jewellery but if you need a quick turnaround, you may be offered somewhat less that its true market value.
- Fashion – as we’ve said, selling costume jewellery is a very fluid market purely because the products themselves go in and out of style and you may want to trade your costume jewellery for something a little more fashionable. There are collectors out there who are ready and willing to take your collection off your hands.
- Inheritance – Jewellery is one of the most common items passed down through the years and if you suddenly find you are in possession of antique costume jewellery or vintage costume jewellery, you could well be sitting on a goldmine!
HOW TO SELL COSTUME JEWELLERY
One of the issues of selling costume jewellery is the sheer variety of pieces available.
It comes in a multitude of materials, shapes and styles so the key here is to take your time and carefully research what you have. You could get lucky and find you have an original Chanel brooch from the 1920s worth tens of thousands, but you also might not! The message here is – you won’t know for sure until you do your homework!
If you’re unsure, go and see an independent jeweller who specialises in costume jewellery and ask him to explain what you’ve got and if it’s worth anything.
If you decide the best way is to sell your costume jewellery online, take detailed photographs that display all the detail, including any scratches, missing stones or broken clasps. Honesty is most certainly the best policy otherwise you’ll just waste time and money.
SELLING COSTUME JEWELLERY ONLINE
Even the biggest peer-to-peer trading websites aren’t immune from the inherent risk involved in selling online. Security, communication and delivery are the three issues to pay closest attention to and playing ‘sell costume jewellery’ games is no fun for anyone. Be sure you know exactly who you’re dealing with.
- Websites like www.62days.com have a panel of in-house costume jewellery experts who will give you a free, no obligation quote based on the photographs you upload
- 62days has been designed specifically to take the hassle out of selling costume jewellery. We have a solid reputation for reliability and honesty and our service is entirely free and backed by TRUSTe, the internet’s leading online privacy provider.
- You also have the assurance of being able to buy back your jewellery for the price you sold it for within 62 days of the sale. And by ‘the price you sold it for’, that’s exactly what we mean, no charges, handling fees or hidden costs.
- We are an online retailer so our low overheads mean that we will always offer you extremely competitive prices for your costume jewellery.
- We only use 100% secure, trusted payment methods such as PayPal, Google Checkout, Neteller, Moneybookers or we can pay you straight into your bank account.
- Your items are collected and delivered by FedEx and are fully insured while in transit and when they arrive at our offices.
SELLING COSTUME JEWELLERY AT AUCTION
- It’s usual to find collections of vintage costume jewellery at auction, but as with a lot of our advice, we suggest that you do your homework to avoid getting stung.
- Go to a few auction rooms and gauge the market value of your pieces. That way, when it comes to sell, you’ll be in a far stronger position since you’ll have a ball-park figure in mind.
- Auction rooms are also a good way of connecting buyers and sellers without necessarily going through the auction process and you may even get some free tips and advice.
ANTIQUE COSTUME JEWELLERY DEALERS
As you’ve read, the market is getting more and more competitive and there are specialist costume jewellery dealers who can value your items, buy your items or even put you in touch with interested buyers or other dealers.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO NOW
If you’ve decided how you want to sell your costume jewellery, now’s the time to put the theory into practice.
If you’d like to see how you can get cash for your costume jewellery instantly with an expert quotation from 62days, simply upload your item now for a quick, free online quote.